Desperate Girls

The Badi Girls

Between 7,000 and 12,000 young girls, aged 9-16, are trafficked each year from Nepal; mainly to India. According to Nepal Monitor/On line journal, 2007, there are more than 200,000 Nepali girls in Indian brothels.

The Dalits(untouchables) are the lowest level in Hindu society, and the Badi community, in Western Nepal, are the lowest of the low. As a displaced hungry people group the Badi community has made sexual subservience a way of life. Young girls from this group “serve” other groups. This has become a tradition and means of livelihood. Many girls, even when they are unwilling, are forced to serve as sex slaves. Family members knowingly sell their daughters to traffickers.

Though prostitution is illegal in Nepal, the industry reportedly has links with highly ranked officials and political leaders. Large groups of girls are taken across the border with many police and government officials being in collusion with traffickers and brothel owners.

Traffickers and related criminals are often protected by political parties, and if arrested, are freed using political power. As a result, there is an underlying distrust of police that has led people not to file cases against traffickers.

Domestic action involves activities of NGO’s and other volunteer groups. These groups are playing a major role to address girl-trafficking and sex slaves issues. Some NGO’s are playing a very important role to improve the situation. From creating social awareness to rescuing and rehabilitation, they are providing services (and relief) to those that need it the most – the likely victims as well as the rescued ones. The Lighthouse foundation is one of these.

*See Chandra Kala’s story on this blog site.

Saturday 21 September 2013

Friday 20 september, my first mission trip..

I arrived in Nepal for my first mission trip 4 days ago, I've traveled through asia before, so I had some idea of the scene I was in for. The crowds of people as you walk the streets, the brick jungle, the smells, the sounds, the state and chaos of the roads. These simple things we take for granted everyday.

The first of my experiences started with a tour of the markets, a tour of the big stupa and surrounding areas, this when it set in, the state at which these people live their everyday lives. This experience was followed by a night out to dinner with Mama Robyn where we managed to 6 people, not so comfortably, in a taxi barely fit for 4.

The following day we went to meet some of our gorgeous girls, for me this was a first. To see their beautiful smiling faces and the respect and love that they have considering their rough start to life is just amazing.

Today was a big day for me, as I'm here to train a group of boys on motorcycles service and repairs. When I left Brisbane, I still had no idea of what I was going to teach them or the treat I was in for, I tried my best to come up with a teaching plan, but like all plans in Nepal, they never go the way you intended them. All I could do was pray the God would be with me through this and trust it would work out fine.

After a shaky first few minutes of introducing the boys to some basic tools, they were pulling bits off the bike left right and centre and asking what each thing was, what it was used for and how it worked. The nerves were gone. For 3 hours it went like clock work and in everything that happened, I could see Gods hand at work. They boys interest and excitement to learn something new was a wonderful thing to experience.

This afternoon, I went back to finish what we didn't get through in the morning. The joy and excitement in their eyes as I came through the gate made me realise how blessed I am to have this opportunity.

The rain put and end to our afternoon of work. The boys insisted I come inside before I go as they had something for me. I was met with a group of 10 boys cheering and thanking me for the day and the opportunity I gave them. It brought tears to my eyes to think I could have such an impact on so many lives.

No words can describe this experience so far. This is just the beginning of something great.

Tim Alder :)

No comments:

Post a Comment