Desperate Girls

The Badi Girls

Between 7,000 and 12,000 young girls, aged 9-16, are trafficked each year from Nepal; mainly to India. According to Nepal Monitor/On line journal, 2007, there are more than 200,000 Nepali girls in Indian brothels.

The Dalits(untouchables) are the lowest level in Hindu society, and the Badi community, in Western Nepal, are the lowest of the low. As a displaced hungry people group the Badi community has made sexual subservience a way of life. Young girls from this group “serve” other groups. This has become a tradition and means of livelihood. Many girls, even when they are unwilling, are forced to serve as sex slaves. Family members knowingly sell their daughters to traffickers.

Though prostitution is illegal in Nepal, the industry reportedly has links with highly ranked officials and political leaders. Large groups of girls are taken across the border with many police and government officials being in collusion with traffickers and brothel owners.

Traffickers and related criminals are often protected by political parties, and if arrested, are freed using political power. As a result, there is an underlying distrust of police that has led people not to file cases against traffickers.

Domestic action involves activities of NGO’s and other volunteer groups. These groups are playing a major role to address girl-trafficking and sex slaves issues. Some NGO’s are playing a very important role to improve the situation. From creating social awareness to rescuing and rehabilitation, they are providing services (and relief) to those that need it the most – the likely victims as well as the rescued ones. The Lighthouse foundation is one of these.

*See Chandra Kala’s story on this blog site.

Wednesday 26 September 2012

School Finished, so sad

I had my last day at the school today. What an amazing time I have had with the most adorable students ever. They are so well behaved, listen so intently, laugh at my jokes!!!!!!!, and tell me how much they love me. What else could a budding teacher ask for.

I have spent 6 wonderful days teaching English in grades 3,4,5, and 6 with children ranging in each class from 7-16 years. I also did English lessons for the teachers each afternoon. I was totally out of my comfort zone and after a rocky start I think I did ok. That is what the feedback was anyway.

To see the children that I have heard so many heartbreaking stories about laughing, dancing, playing and learning with me was more that I can put into words. After school today I went to the playground and played hand clapping games with the girls that Sarah used to play at school. We laughed as I got it wrong and cheered when I got it right.
I head off on Thursday to explore  this beautiful country. It is hard to put into words what my trip so far had done to me. The first week my tears rarely stopped and my heart ached. God seemed very far away sometimes.
Back in Kathmandu and I became part of the next step for them and I spent most of my time amazed at their spunk, determination, loving nature and I was only too willing to play a part in their need to be loved.
The teachers at the school are committed, caring and willing to learn as well as being fun. They treat the children both boys and girls with respect and like many of the teachers I know put in many hours of extra work for no pay.
God's hand is everywhere and as the children sing and pray as they did for me on Saturday for my birthday I know Nepal is in good hands in the future.
I am looking forward to my next adventure but soooooo sad to be leaving this one.
Love Trish          

No comments:

Post a Comment